Atmashatkam

Atmashatkam: Mantra with Meaning

The Atmashatkam, also known as Nirvanashatkam, is a composition consisting of 6 fold Sloka written by the Hindu philosopher Adi Shankaracharya summarizing the basic teachings of Advaita Vedanta (the Hindu teachings of non-dualism). It was written around 788-820 CE.

It is said that that when Adi Sankara was a young boy of eight and wandering near river Narmada, seeking to find his guru, he encountered the seer named Gaudapada who asked him, "Who are you?" The boy answered with these stanzas, which is known as "Nirvana Shatkam" or "Atma Shatkam". Listening to his words, the seer Gaudapada was highly pleased and therefore accepted Adi Sankara as his disciple.

Thus, Atmashatkam is a very beautiful and popular hymn composed by Adi Shankaracharya. It is the song of the Self which answers the question "Who am I?" from Yogic point of view. The hymn explains that our true nature is beyond our sight, hearing, knowledge or intellect. We are not what we see, think, feel or explain. We are the eternal Soul. The word "Shivoham" in the last line of each verse is to represent that we are the Supreme Soul (Shiva) which is beyond physical body and mind. Recitation of this hymn (with understanding of its meaning) is valued to progress in contemplation practices that lead to Self-Realization.

"Nirvana" is complete equanimity, peace, tranquility, freedom and joy.
"Atman" is the true Self.

Composed By: Adi Shankaracharya

Atmashatkam

Adi Shankaracharya

Play the music, and sing the stotra along with it

॥ आत्मषट्कम् ॥

मनोबुद्ध्यहङ्कार-चित्तानि नाहं
न च श्रोत्रजिह्वे न च घ्राणनेत्रे ।
न च व्योम-भूमिर्न तेजो न वायुः
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहं शिवोऽहम् ।।१।।

Neither am I the mind nor intelligence or ego, nor the reflections of inner-self,
Neither am I the organs of hearing (ears), nor that of tasting (tongue), smelling (nose) or seeing (eyes),
Neither am I the sky, nor the Earth, neither the fire nor the air,
I am the ever-pure blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva.

न च प्राणसंज्ञो न वै पञ्चवायुः
न वा सप्तधातुः न वा पञ्चकोशः ।
न वाक्पाणिपादौ न चोपस्थपायु
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहं शिवोऽहम् ।।२।।

Neither am I the vital breath (Prana), nor the five vital air (Vayus: Prana, Apana, Vyana, Udana & Samana),
Neither am I the seven ingredients of the body (Rasa, Rakta, Mamsa, Medas, Asthi, Majja & Shukra), nor the five sheaths (Food, Air, Mind, Knowledge & Pleasure),
Neither am I the organ of speech, nor the organs for holding, movement or excretion,
I am the ever-pure blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva.

न मे द्वेषरागौ न मे लोभमोहौ
मदो नैव मे नैव मात्सर्यभावः ।
न धर्मो न चार्थो न कामो न मोक्षः
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहं शिवोऽहम् ।।३।।

Neither do I have hatred, nor attachment, neither greed nor infatuation,
Neither do I have pride, nor feelings of envy and jealousy,
I am not within the bounds of Dharma (Righteousness), Artha (Wealth), Kama (Desire) and Moksha (Liberation),
I am the ever-pure blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva.

न पुण्यं न पापं न सौख्यं न दुःखं
न मन्त्रो न तीर्थं न वेदा न यज्ञः ।
अहं भोजनं नैव भोज्यं न भोक्ता
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहं शिवोऽहम् ।।४।।

Neither am I bound by merits nor sins, neither by worldly joys nor by sorrows,
Neither am I bound by sacred hymns nor by sacred places, neither by sacred scriptures nor by sacrifices,
I am neither enjoyment, nor an object to be enjoyed, nor the enjoyer,
I am the ever-pure blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva.

न मे मृत्युशंका न मे जातिभेदः
पिता नैव मे नैव माता न जन्मः ।
न बन्धुर्न मित्रं गुरुर्नैव शिष्यः
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहं शिवोऽहम् ।।५।।

Neither am I bound by death and its fear, nor by the rules of caste and its distinctions,
Neither do I have father and mother, nor do I have birth,
Neither do I have relations nor friends, neither spiritual teacher nor disciple,
I am the ever-pure blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva.

अहं निर्विकल्पो निराकाररुपो
विभुर्व्याप्य सर्वत्र सर्वेन्द्रियाणाम् ।
सदा मे समत्वं न मुक्तिर्न बन्धः
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहं शिवोऽहम् ।।६।।

I am without any variation, and without any form,
I am present everywhere as the underlying substratum of everything, and behind all sense organs,
Neither do I get attached to anything, nor get freed from anything,
I am the ever-pure blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva.
[Note: The alternative version of 2nd and 3rd lines of this last verse is "विभुत्वाच्च सर्वत्र सर्वेन्द्रियाणाम् । न चासङ्गतं नैव मुक्तिर्न मेयः" although the meaning is same.]



NOTE:
This is the original version of Atmashatkam. You may find that some texts do not match the words from the song. Know that, the texts written here is the correct and complete one.

Comments

Last Month's Most Popular

Sri Hari Stotram

Shri Rajarajeshwari Ashtakam

Vishnu Shatpadi Stotram

Suvarnamala Stuti

Shiva Tandava Stotram